Sunday, February 15, 2004

The Social Network of Science Studies/ Sociology of Science

Inspired by the work of Valdis Krebs's work on the political book buying habits of the American populace, I decided to create my own map. I have a general interest in the the sociology of science so I decided to take a random walk through Amazon.com to explore the books that readers "have also bought". I used Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions as a starting point.

The first figure shows the relationships of the book titles as indicated by Amazon buying behaviour.



The second figure represents the net relationships of authors.



I noticed that Pajek provides a VRML export option. The 3D world of science studies is pretty interesting... although awfully disorienting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home